By late September, the conversation with sellers starts to change.
In the first few weeks of the fall market, the question is usually: How is the market?
A little later, it becomes much more personal: Does it still make sense for me to be on the market?
That is a harder question, especially this year.
Buyers have more options than they did a year ago, sales activity has softened, and financing remains expensive. Northwest MLS described August as a market where buyers had more choices while sales and prices eased. At the same time, Freddie Mac's September 24 survey put the average 30-year fixed mortgage rate at 7.03%.
But none of that means every seller should reduce the price, pull the listing, or wait for spring.
I think there are really three choices once a home has been on the market without the result we wanted:
Stay the course. Reposition. Or wait.
The important part is knowing which problem you are actually trying to solve.
Staying the course makes sense when the evidence still supports the strategy
Not every home that takes longer to sell has a problem.
Sometimes there is legitimate buyer interest, but the right buyer simply has not committed yet.
I am more comfortable staying the course when we are still seeing meaningful activity: private showings, repeat visits, good open-house traffic, thoughtful questions from agents, saves and inquiries online, or buyers who are interested but working through timing or financing.
I also look closely at the competition.
If comparable homes are sitting too, our market time may be more reflective of the segment than of something specific to our listing. If competing homes are selling and ours is not, I want to understand why.
There is an important difference between patience and inertia.
Patience means we can explain why the current strategy still makes sense.
Inertia means we are leaving everything unchanged because changing it is uncomfortable.
I am fine with the first. I get increasingly concerned about the second.
Reposition when the market is consistently telling us something
A reposition does not automatically mean a price reduction.
Sometimes the issue is presentation. Sometimes it is access. Sometimes the marketing is emphasizing the wrong part of the property. Sometimes a seller entered the market against one competitive set and, three weeks later, that competitive set looks completely different.
And sometimes it really is price.
The question I ask is:
What would need to change for a buyer who passed on the home last week to reconsider it next week?
If the answer is nothing, then simply extending the listing another month is unlikely to create a different reaction.
A meaningful reposition might include adjusting the price, improving photography, changing staging, addressing a condition issue, making showings easier, clarifying a confusing floor plan or feature, or responding to a new competing listing that has changed the value conversation.
The change needs to be noticeable enough to alter the buyer's decision.
Moving a price slightly while changing nothing else can sometimes produce very little. So can restaging one room when the underlying issue is clearly price.
The goal is not to prove that we did something.
It is to change the home's position in the market.
Price reductions should solve a specific problem
I don't like reducing a price simply because a certain number of days has passed.
I do like price changes when the evidence supports them.
If buyers are touring the home and repeatedly concluding that another property offers better value, price may be the problem.
If there are almost no showings despite strong photography, broad exposure and easy access, price can also be part of the problem because buyers may be eliminating the property before they ever see it.
The size of a reduction matters too.
A reduction should ideally move the property into a meaningfully different competitive position, not simply make the seller feel that the listing has been refreshed.
That could mean entering a new search range, creating clearer separation from a competing property, or bringing the price closer to where buyers are already demonstrating interest.
There is no universal percentage that accomplishes that.
The right change depends on the property and the homes surrounding it.
Waiting only makes sense if something will actually be different
"Let's take it off and try again later" can sound like a strategy.
Sometimes it is.
Sometimes it is just postponing the same problem.
If we remove a property from the market today and relaunch it later with the same condition, same presentation and essentially the same pricing strategy, I would want a good reason to believe the market itself will have improved enough to change the outcome.
That is possible, but it is not guaranteed.
A better reason to wait is that we can identify something specific that should be different.
Maybe the seller can complete improvements that were not practical while living in the home.
Maybe a tenant is moving out and the property will present substantially better vacant.
Maybe landscaping or outdoor space is a major part of the property's appeal and another season genuinely showcases it better.
Maybe the seller's own timing changes enough that there is less pressure around the sale.
Or maybe we simply conclude that the seller does not need to sell into today's conditions and is comfortable accepting the uncertainty of a future market instead.
Those are real reasons to wait.
"Spring is always better" is not enough for me.
Do the carrying-cost math before deciding to wait
Waiting also has a cost.
Suppose postponing the sale by six months means another six months of mortgage interest, property taxes, HOA dues, utilities, insurance and maintenance.
That number should be part of the decision.
If waiting costs $25,000 and we are hoping the home will sell for $25,000 more later, we have not necessarily improved the seller's position.
There can also be nonfinancial costs: keeping a home show-ready, delaying another purchase, carrying two properties, maintaining a vacant home, or simply extending a move that the seller would rather complete.
On the other hand, a seller with low carrying costs and no urgency may have considerably more flexibility.
This is why I don't think the stay-or-wait decision should be made from a seasonal real estate cliché.
It should be made from the seller's actual numbers.
Separate the market problem from the property problem
This is probably the most useful exercise I can do with a seller whose home has not sold.
What is happening because of the broader market, and what is happening because of this particular property?
Higher mortgage rates affect almost everyone.
More inventory affects many sellers.
Seasonality affects the market broadly.
But a difficult floor plan, an ambitious price, limited showing access, poor photography, deferred maintenance or unusually strong nearby competition are property-specific.
The strategy changes depending on which side of that line the problem sits.
If most competing properties are experiencing the same thing, dramatic action may not be necessary.
If our competition is selling and we are not, I want to understand the difference rather than blame the market.
The seller's priorities belong in the decision too
Real estate strategy can become overly focused on extracting the theoretical maximum price.
That is not always the seller's only objective.
One seller may care most about being finished before the holidays.
Another may be willing to carry the property for months if it gives them a chance at a better outcome.
Someone buying another home may value certainty.
Someone who does not need to move may value flexibility.
There is no point designing the "perfect" listing strategy if it conflicts with the reason the owner is selling in the first place.
The best strategy should consider price, probability, timing and inconvenience together.
My decision framework
If I were evaluating a Seattle listing today, I would start with five questions:
1. What has the market actually told us?
Showings, repeat interest, feedback, inquiries and offers matter more than hope.
2. What has happened to the competition since we listed?
New listings, pendings, sales and price changes can alter our position quickly.
3. Is there something we can change that would materially improve the buyer's reaction?
If yes, repositioning may make sense.
4. What will genuinely be different if we wait?
Better preparation, different timing or a change in the seller's circumstances is more compelling than simply expecting spring to rescue the price.
5. What does waiting cost?
Carrying costs and the seller's personal timeline need to be compared with the potential benefit.
Once those answers are visible, the decision usually becomes much less emotional.
The calendar shouldn't make the decision for you
There is nothing magical about October, January or April.
Markets change, but so do individual properties and seller circumstances.
A home with continued buyer interest may deserve more time. A listing that is clearly missing the market may need a meaningful reposition. And a seller who has the flexibility to wait may reasonably decide that today's environment does not offer enough upside to justify selling now.
The important thing is to make that choice deliberately.
I would rather tell a seller why we are staying on the market, why we are changing something, or why we are stepping away than simply watch the days accumulate and hope the next buyer sees the property differently.
In a more selective Seattle market, waiting can be a strategy. So can patience. But neither should be the default.
Sources: Northwest Multiple Listing Service, August 2026 Market Snapshot, published September 3, 2026; Freddie Mac Primary Mortgage Market Survey, September 24, 2026.
Work With Luke
Have Questions About the Seattle Market?
Luke tracks Seattle market data closely and can put the numbers in context for your specific situation, whether you're buying, selling, or evaluating a property.



